Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tim's Super Bowl

Thought you might be interested in where I was this weekend. My trek took me to the Uriay language group in the Sundaun Province to a small village of approx 100 about a 2-hour motor canoe (a massive 50-ft long carved out tree with a Yamaha 40hp engine) from an airstrip an hour flight interior from Wewak. I was in checking a selection of their Bible lessons and going over strategy for their teaching program that begins in May. In one of the pictures you can see Elias Struik (a Dutch colleague and close friend) reading a Bible lesson to a group of interested listeners in his office. After they listened to him teach a section (in the vernacular) I would then ask comprehension questions (using pidgin) attempting to assess how the lessons are communicating. Very exciting to not only see the main lesson themes (God's omniscience, power, goodness, love, etc...) hitting home, but also the excitement as many extra spectators sat on the office steps and crammed within earshot to hear for themselves. In a few short months, they will begin hearing those plus about 65 more lessons from creation on through Christ.

If I had to miss the Super Bowl for something, I guess this was worth it :-)