Thursday, May 1, 2008

Translating 2 Thessalonians 3:3

Today Kibo and I were translating in 2 Thessalonians 3, and came up on verse 3. It says, "But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one." I did the rough draft (the first draft I do alone after doing exegesis) a few weeks ago, and made a note to myself to ask Kibo about this verse when I saw him. While not nearly the hardest verse in 2 Thess (see 3:7!), it does present a number of challenges for the translator. For starters, the Nakui equivalent for "faithful" is a mouthful, and I would really like to shorten it up a bit. It goes something like "he follows his own promise talk well." No luck, Kibo didn't have any new revelations on this one. "He will strengthen you" is pretty straight forward as we have a great word for "giving strong" to someone else's heart. The real challenge is finding an equivalent for the word "protect" or "guard". I thought for sure Kibo would come out with a great term for me. I mean, with all the horrible stories I've heard from Nakui history and lore of deadly attacks on unassuming victims, I thought for sure the Nakui language would have a nice, concise term for protecting another person. Kibo's offering? It was something like, "To take someone and run away with them". Hardly what I was looking for to describe the Lord's protection of his people from the evil one! In the end, it looks like I'll have to settle for something like, "He stands with us and helps us." Not terrible, but hardly the rich imagery I was hoping for. We'll see how it flies with the translation consultants! :-)